Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Pre-Hunt Part 1 -- Getting There.

After a few telephone calls delayed my departure from Philadelphia until well after 10 a.m. on Wednesday morning (3 days before the open), I finally set out for Southern Arkansas. This is what my car looked like just before heading out:




After a pretty awesome 2-day drive that took me through central PA, Cumberland, Maryland, most of W. Virginia, much of Kentucky (stopping overnight in Lexington) and Tennessee, I finally crossed the Mississippi and into Arkansas about midday on Thursday.

I arrived at "deer camp" late Thursday afternoon, 2 days before the season opening. I spent 21 hours on the road to get there, daydreaming about all the big bucks I might see to pass the time. When I arrived in the remote area in Bradley County, Arkansas, my brother-in-law was there to meet me at the highway and lead me back to camp. I took the photo's below on my drive into camp to demonstrate its remote nature.



After about a mile drive through the woods, I arrived at camp. The camp consists of a large "cookshack" that contains a big cooler, sinks and cooking facilities, along with several tables and chairs to accomodate hungry hunters. It was about the size of a typical diner/family restuaraunt, with indoor seating for 50 or so, with outdoor picnic tables that would accomodate another 24+. Attached to the cookshack was a bathroom with 2 toilets and one shower.

There were a number of cabins and mobile homes that are permanently affixed to the camp (complete with electrical, sewer and water service) that belong to the various members, as well as a number of campers that are brought in only for the hunting season. Finally, the camp includes a deer cleaning area, complete with walk in freezer to store the venison until you take it to a processor. In other words, the camp has everything the hunter needs to get the job done. Here's a photo:



I later learned that there are currently 31 member units (units can be families) which can each have up to 3 hunting areas/stands per unit. These units split 5,300+ acres, with hunting areas being a minimum of 1/4 mile x 1/4 mile areas. The membership charter allows up to 37 member units maximum. I joined as an in-lieu, or probationary member. After 3 years, I can become a full member with voting rights. Each year of membership allows 1 hunting area up to a total of 3, so I arrived with a single exclusive hunting area assigned to me. If I rejoin in following years, I will have up to three exclusive hunting areas. Available hunting areas are typically "drawn for" each year, though members do tend to trade areas. Once you have an area, it's yours until you no longer are a member, offer it up for drawing (in exchange for another area you may draw) or trade it to another member.

Up next, I'll get into the pre-hunt scout and a little more about the camp itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment