Monday, May 2, 2011

How It All Started ....

About six months ago (October 2010), after several weeks of kicking it around, I decided a wanted a firearm.  You're probably thinking that I found myself in a threatened position one day and began thinking of a firearm as some sort of equalizer.  Well (thankfully), it was nothing that exciting.  I hadn't owned a firearm in more than 10 years and didn't suddenly develop a need.  Nope, this was all about want.  After all, while they serve all sorts of legitimate purposes, guns are pretty damn cool gadgets even when you don't need them.  In a matter of days, I convinced my wife that (1) a 9mm handgun would make the perfect Christmas gift and (2) that I needed to go ahead and get it in November "just in case."  On Thanksgiving weekend, I picked up my first handgun -- a Smith & Wesson M&P full-size 9mm. 

In the weeks that followed, I quickly discovered that a want can become a hobby which can become an obsession.  In less than six months, I had purchased 6 firearms and all sorts of related gear, and had competed in my first shooting competition.  During that time, I found all sorts of new reasons to expand my collection, and to expand my interest in all sorts of guns-related things.  This blog was launched because ... well frankly, I think my wife is tired of hearing about this stuff.  In addition, I have learned so much in such a short time that I thought it might be sort of cool to log the process.

So, if my aim is true, My Guns Go Bang will be a chronicle about me and everything guns -- from choosing, buying and caring for firearms, to shooting them for fun and competition, to viewing them as investments and heirlooms.   Without further delay, time to load and make ready ....

No comments:

Post a Comment