Thursday, May 19, 2011

I guess it's about time to talk rifles for a change ...

I've had my eye on two tactical rifles for the past several months:  the Sig 556 Classic and the S&W M&P-15 (AR-15).  After reading several bad reviews of the Sig, I was pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the M&P-15 when I suddenly decided to join a hunting lease in Arkansas.  That changed everything ....

With that, I needed a rifle that was fit for hunting whitetail deer.  After kicking it around for several days, I finally decided to go with a Kimber 8400 in .270 Winchester Short Magnum.  I already know Kimber makes damn fine pistols, and this rifle certainly appears to be typical Kimber quality fit and finish.  I opted for the .270 WSM because it was a terrific balance of power and velocity.  A 150 grain Winchester Supreme Elite round drops less than 34 inches at 500 yards.  That's about 2/3 of the drop of a 30-06 at that distance.

I added Leupold VX-R optics at 3-9x40mm.  It has a "Firedot" reticle that actually lights up on the target.  Interested to see how that works.  It took nearly a month for the jackasses at the gun shop to mount the damn thing, but I guess it's better late than never.

In any event, I am shooting it for the first time this weekend, so we'll see how it fires.  In the meantime, a few pictures:





1 comment:

  1. I do hate that I didn't get to shoot this sweet rifle. Maybe next year. :)

    ReplyDelete